- Before Your altar, Lord, I bow
To taste Your pledge of grace;
As angels join my worship now,
I see by faith Your face.
- The image of the eternal Lord
Is hidden here in food;
Here is bestowed by Jesus’ Word
His body and his blood.
- Here brings the sinner his regret
And leaves with hope in Him,
Who shed his blood to pay our debt
And died for all our sin.
- How often have I longed for this,
To see amid my guilt
How righteousness and peace will kiss
In blood that You once spilt.
- I see death’s angel pass me by
While on the Lamb I feast,
Whose blood still speaks for me on high
Where pleads my great High Priest.
- Here is the manna which I eat,
And never shall I die;
This is the bread of heav’n so sweet
It shall new life supply.
- Once more we here proclaim his death
Until he comes again;
He kindles once again our faith
By covering all our sin.
- Here all the saints are gathered round
To feast in unity,
And join their voices in the sound
To praise the Trinity.
First published at Revive Lutheran Hymns