This is another in our series of resolutions to the 2010 Synod Convention, posted here to allow for discussion. If you have a comment on a specific resolution, see our Resolutions page. If the one you want to discuss is not yet posted, please contact us and we will add the resolution to start discussion.
This one seems odd .. the third whereas state “reduced mail service performance” .. do we have any proof of this? Is bulk mail slower today than it was 3 years ago? Can we find out in detail where this $70,000 was spent?
The fifth whereas states that the bylaws were written before “electronic communication tools”, which would imply they are going to distribute things by email to meet the requirements.
Then the bylaw changes do the following:
- Raise the length of time BEFORE convention from 18 to 20 weeks for overtures
- Raise from 12 to 16 the number of weeks prior to convention that the President schedules floor committees (3.1.7c)
- The Convention workbook will be put on the website 12 weeks rather than 10 weeks prior to convention (3.1.8b)
- The Convention Workbook will no longer be distributed to all ordained/commissioned ministers, but only to delegates and officers (3.1.8b)
- Raise from 7 to 9 weeks prior to convention that delegates/members can comment on the convention workbook (3.1.8c)
- First edition of Today’s Business no longer sent to each congregation (3.1.8)
- First meeting of nominations committee changed from “within 9 months” to “at least 6 months” prior to convention (126.96.36.199)
- No longer require 2 nominees for each position, instead “When possible” (188.8.131.52a)
- The Chair of floor nominations no longer needs to have the list of nominees that are available for floor nominations (184.108.40.206e)
- Decrease number of presidential/1VP nominations from 5 to 3, and number of 2-5th VP nominations from 20 to 10. (220.127.116.11)
- Raise the praesidium nominations from 4 months to 5 months prior to convention (3.12.1c)
- Change presidential election to only 2 votes (18.104.22.168) (I guess it makes sense since there are now only 3 nominees, but what about floor nominations?)
Some of these changes make no sense to me, nor do they fit the whereas’s listed in the resolution. To me, given electronic communication, we should be DECREASING the amount of time required prior to convention for some of these items, not increasing them. Where in the whereas’ below is the requirement to decrease the number of nominees for the praesidium?
And why would they stop sending information to members of synod — both ministers and churches (items 4 and 6 above)?
WHEREAS, Changes in requirements for the preparation of pre-convention materials and changes in the conditions under which such materials are gathered have made existing bylaw deadlines difficult to meet; and
WHEREAS, Reduced mail service performance has resulted in delays in the delivery of convention materials; and
WHEREAS, Accommodating such reduced mail service performance has resulted in an increased cost of at least $70,000 for the 2010 convention; and
WHEREAS, Timely receipt of pre-convention materials is essential for proper preparation for conventions of the Synod; and
WHEREAS, In the interest of transparency, widespread provision of information regarding convention business is desirable; and
WHEREAS, Existing bylaws predate the availability of electronic communication tools that allow for timely and economical distribution of materials; therefore be it
Resolved, That the bylaws governing the submission of convention business and the distribution of pre-convention publications be amended as follows:
(( following change in bylaws goes on for many pages; it is best to read it there ))