Two Kingdoms doctrine, who needs that?
“With all the crucial issues in the world like gay marriage and Obama all you preach about is Baptism and Communion.”
This was a comment made to a pastor friend of mine. Needless to say this person left his church for a nearby AFLC church. Maybe it’s just a problem we have here in the Illinois district of the AFLC, where the doctrine of the two kingdoms has yet to be discovered, but there seems to be more interest in politics and less the Word of God. I know that Pulpit Freedom Sunday was two weeks ago, (as Lutherans we are Johnny-come-latelies after all), but here is a list of suggestions to transform a worship service into a political event.
1) Talk about the United States like we are God’s chosen people. Take any passage from the OT that talks about the nation of Israel and substitute America for it.
2) Mention that Lincoln, Reagan, or even George Bush II, were God’s beloved sons. However, do not mention Mormonism is a cult because Mitt Romney is a Mormon and God has favored this man.
3) Lambast the homosexuals and liberals of this country and how evil they are. Ignore the sins of the people in your congregation.
4) Change the church year so that you include Veteran’s Day, Memorial Day, and Independence day.
5) If your Pastor wears a stole make sure it is one that has the U.S. flag on it. If your congregation is low church and consider vestments to be from Satan, than make sure your Pastor’s tie has the flag on it.
6) Sing any of the patriotic songs from the Ambassador Hymnal, except “O Canada”. We’re not Communists after all!
7) Preach a message on Capitalism versus Socialism (http://www.foxriverlutheran.org/audio/042912%20Involved%20In%20Politics.mp3). The devil will delight because you have not heard the Gospel, at least not the true Gospel of Jesus Christ and Him crucified for sinners.
For those of you that still think the doctrine of the two kingdoms still matters today, I highly recommend watching the recent Lutheran Hours Ministries special “Intersection of Church and State.” This program did an excellent job of explaining left hand kingdom, right hand kingdom, and how God operates in both. A DVD of the program can be purchased at http://www.intersectionofchurchandstate.com/ or you can stream it on their website.
Read 2298 times