I know this is not a lutheran source, but I found this on facebook from EnglishStandardVersion. Is anyone else confused about these pages popping up, and wish you could figure out who is behind them? Seems like there should be a list of admins for any page on facebook.
Posted originally here:
I have stored up your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you. ~ Ps. 119:11
Consider the benefits of Bible memorization:
- Helps to renew your mind and change your thought life, establishing permanent change in your entire manner of life and conduct (Joshua 1:8; Psalm 1:2-3).
- Follows the example of the Lord Jesus Christ (Matthew 4:1-10).
- Equips you to use Scripture in everyday situations (for example: Acts 2:16-21, 25-28; 3:22-23; 13:40-41, 47).
- Allows God’s Word to be the foundation of your life (Deuteronomy 6:6-8).
- Provides guidance (Psalm 119:24, 105).
- Develops confidence in witnessing (Isaiah 55:11).
- Establishes a fountain to conquer temptation (for example: Matthew 4:1-10) and to gain victory over sin (Psalm 119:9-11).
- Becomes an integral part of your prayer life (for example: Acts 4:24-31).
- Enables you to teach, counsel, encourage, and build up others in the Body of Christ (Colossians 3:16).
- Provides a basis for meditation On God’s Word (Psalm 119:15-16, 97).
- Makes the Word of God readily available for comfort (Psalm 119:52).
- Keeps God’s Word ready to refresh or revive (Psalm 119:93).
- Provides stability in your spiritual life (Psalm 37:31; 40:8).
- Gives you the truth so that, at times of need, you are ready to answer others concerning your source of hope (Proverbs 22:17-21; 1 Peter 3:15).