TEXAS CONFESSIONAL LUTHERAN FREE CONFERENCE XXI
Friday & Saturday, September 10-11, 2010
Grace Lutheran Church
1212 W. Jefferson Street
Theme: “A Review of the 2010 LCMS Convention”
The conference was held and video and reports are in from it; below is a sampling. The conference website is found here.
The various topics were held by Rev. Richard Bolland, Rev. Leif Hasskarl, Rev. Paul Kaiser, and Rev. Andrew Simcak, Jr., with a panel discussion at the end.
Video recordings of Pastor Bolland’s presentations are below, as well as the panel discussion. Other video will be available within the next few weeks on the TCL website. Thanks to Mark Young for recording the video and preparing it for publishing it on the web.
Here is a list of topics that were covered in the panel presentation:
- Koinonia project
- We are in the ‘church militant’ – importance of lay and clergy being involved
- COP support of SP, historically and now
- Need to get confessional DPs into office
- Support for Harrison among BOD and praesidium
- Reclaiming Missouri is a process, not an event. The events in Houston this year are a good start on that process.
- Importance of speaking up and being politically and theologically engaged
- Stewardship and missions
- Synod’s financial health
- Doctrine vs. practice
- Communion practice (Open communion is out of hand. DP supervision.)
- What passes for Lutheranism in our synod
- Order of Creation
- Women’s ordination and suffrage and roles in church
- Voter’s meetings
- Authority, Inerrancy, Inspiration of Scripture
- Doctrinal divisions / fellowship issues
- Use of doctrine of predestination when thinking about evangelism (number of elect is static).
- Theology of cross vs. glory
- Cooperation / relationship with ELCA (and WELS and ELS)
- Division in synod demonstrated by close votes at convention
- Constitutional amendment business coming before congregations
Comments on the conference from Texas Confessional Lutheran President Rev. Andrew Simcak, Jr.:
I very strongly encourage all those on the list to read the entire presentation of the Reverend Richard A. Bolland (Holy Cross Lutheran Church, Kansas City, MO) at the Texas Confessional Lutherans Free Conference XXI on Friday-Saturday, September 10-11, 2010 at Grace Lutheran Church, Brenham, Texas. I assure you that you will not be disappointed!
His assigned topic: “The 2010 Synodical Convention: What Does This Mean for the Present and the Future?” He presented a wonderful paper, a paper that should be read and considered throughout the entire synod.
- What does the 2010 convention mean for the present?
Pastor Bolland offers 3 “Inescapable Conclusions”
- Under President Harrison’s leadership we must become a Synod dedicated to resolving our differences in doctrine and practice on the basis of God’s Word only.
- If the Koinonia Project is actually going to resolve our divergent positions on doctrine and practice on the basis of God’s Word only, then the final result of these efforts must be a righteous division of our Synod by those who will not agree to the resolution regardless fo who that party is.
- President Harrison’s election means that our Synod has this one, last and likely final chance to retain her orthodox Lutheran character if we have the will to do what is necessary to retain it.
- What does the 2010 convention mean for the future?
“First, let us speak theologically”
Second, let us speak politically.
I firmly hope that all will make every effort to read Pastor Bolland’s entire paper. It was well prepared with very accurate supporting documentation.
It was indeed a strange coincidence that Rev. Harrison was installed as Synod’s 13th President the same morning that Pastor Bolland presented his paper! We were able to witness the joyous ceremony on a large screen during the Free Conference.
Pastor Bolland is no stranger to our Texas Confessional Lutherans Free Conferences. He and Rev. Daniel Preus were the speakers at our annual Free Conference in 2005. The theme: “Contending for the Faith Once Delivered to the Saints.”
Rev. Richard Bolland – The 2010 Synodical Convention: What Does This Mean for the Present and the Future? – Part 1
Rev. Richard Bolland – The 2010 Synodical Convention: What Does This Mean for the Present and the Future? – Part 2 and Q&A
Panel Discussion with Rev. Richard Bolland, Rev. Leif Hasskarl, Rev. Paul Kaiser, and Rev. Andrew Simcak, Jr.