Great Stuff Found on the Web — “You’re supposed to be studying the scriptures!”

This was found on Mercy Journeys with Pastor Harrison. Pastor Walther would agree with us that we need  a theologian leading the LCMS.

.In his treatise “On the Councils and Church” [WA 50:509–653; AE 41:9–178], Luther does a magnificent job of demonstrating from the Council of Nicaea [A.d. 325] what was emphasized and what was not emphasized. He informs us that a large number of documents were submitted. In these documents, a bishop would complain about other bishops. Constantine, however, threw all these documents into the fire as he told them, “You’re supposed to be studying the Scriptures!” How wonderful it would be if every synod had someone like Constantine! If the study of doctrine is not the number one priority at synodical conventions, then one of two things will happen: Either the convention will be manufacturing laws, or even worse, it will degenerate into an affair of mutual praise, love, assurance, and life insurance.

C.F.W. Walther, The Duties of an Evangelical Lutheran Synod in “At Home in the House of My Fathers.”

About Norm Fisher

Norm was raised in the UCC in Connecticut, and like many fell away from the church after high school. With this background he saw it primarily as a service organization. On the miracle of his first child he came back to the church. On moving to Texas a few years later he found a home in Lutheranism when he was invited to a confessional church a half-hour away by our new neighbors.

He is one of those people who found a like mind in computers while in Middle School and has been programming ever since. He's responsible for many websites, including the Book of Concord,, and several other sites.

He has served the church in various positions, including financial secretary, sunday school teacher, elder, PTF board member, and choir member.

More of his work can be found at


Great Stuff Found on the Web — “You’re supposed to be studying the scriptures!” — 9 Comments

  1. How wonderful it would be if the circuit winkles and the District conferences had as priority the study of Scripture. So many have wandered into the realm of a company’s board of director’s meeting. It is unfortunate that Scripture and the Confessions are not the priority, but rather if there is time.

  2. One of the unexpected gifts God gave the church was the power of the Emperor or King to insist that a council keep meeting until it reached a resolution.

  3. @Kurt Klingbeil #2
    I am happy that I am in a circuit where we do study Word and Confessions. This coming fall we will be doing Daniel all ‘season’ long as well as studying the Augustana. Hopefully we will grow as a circuit also–in our knowledge of what each will contribute to our office as pastors.

  4. @Rev. Allen Bergstrazer #3
    Would it not be nice if our convention would continue to discuss until all are pursuaded by the Word that we are taking correct course of action. This would be a more powerful result that the route of majority vote!

  5. According to Jesus First’s convention delegate letter #6 we in the LCMS are not divided or at least only 12% of the delegates in 2007 were divided from the other 88% and only 2% were divided when it comes to the issue of homosexuality. So, “Clearly the leadership of President Kieschnick has been uniting us in doctrine, practice, and mission.”

    A paragraph later the letter tells us that, “following President Kieschnick’s lead, we in the LCMS do indeed believe the Word of God actually can, and is uniting us.” I am left with one question. Are they saying President Kieschnick first is uniting us or first Jesus is uniting us?

  6. @Anonymous #7
    “I am left with one question. Are they saying President Kieschnick first is uniting us or first Jesus is uniting us?”

    I think they are saying “Kieschnick First.” How else could the LCMS move forward apart from his lead? (…or, is it the Holy Spirit who “calls, gathers, enlightens, and sanctifies…”?).

  7. FWIW, I would like to hear what Matthew Harrison has to say now that the final report has been out. Did he jump the gun as Jesus First contends?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail. You can also subscribe without commenting.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.