My Favorite Beer (Brewers stories welcome)

1. Matt Jamison
    June 26th, 2008 at 00:33 | #1

Ice-cold Pilsner Urquell at the Wilbur Czech Festival in Nebraska. Luther said “eat like a bohemian, drink like a German,” I’m here to tell you that the bohunks can drink pretty well too!

2. SteadfastLutherans
    June 26th, 2008 at 01:58 | #2

Matt,

I’m jealous although anyone in or near Chicago can have a great Pilsner Urquell with a nice bohemian lunch of schnitzel, liver dumpling soup, etc. at two little central European restaurants in the suburb of Brookfield (Walt Otten’s stomping grounds): The Moldau and Little Europe right on Ogden Avenue. (And they also satisfy the thriftiness of the best of us bohunks – entree, coffee, soup, sides, and dessert for about $6!)

Pastor Rossow

3. June 26th, 2008 at 02:23 | #3

I just returned from “Beer-vana,” also known as Oregon. Double-Mountain Brewery in Hood River, OR (http://www.doublemountainbrewery.com) had some of the finest pale ales ever sampled. We hit over 12 breweries throughout the state and they were our choice for finest selections, although the competition was stiff.
    Pastor Beecroft

4. SteadfastLutherans
    June 26th, 2008 at 03:24 | #4

Is it Pastor Beecraft or Pastor Beercraft? :)

Where is Hood River, OR? I have been to Cannon Beach, Multnomah Falls, etc, but not sure if I have been to Hood River.

Your 12 brewery tour sounds like a great story for our “travel and adventure” section. Send the story to trossow@steadfastlutherans.org if you like.

Pastor Rossow

5. The Rev. Kent A. Tibben
    June 28th, 2008 at 06:37 | #5

I must say that my favorite beers, in order of preference, are:

#1 Spaten Oktoberfest
    #2 Shiner Bock
    #3 Leinenkugels Creamy Dark Lager

6. Tom Zimmerman
    June 28th, 2008 at 15:17 | #6

Ice-cold PBR (Pabst Blue Ribbon) accompanied with a snack of raw beef and onion… down in the basement of Walther Memorial LC Milwaukee at Men’s Club. Those guys knew how to live! Wow that was good back in 1975!

7. June 28th, 2008 at 21:56 | #7

Pastor Rossow,
    Hood River is an hour east of Portland on I-84. It is the best place for windsurfing in the world as the gorge is a natural wind tunnel. It is only about 30 minutes away from Multnomah Falls and is a great town to visit.

I returned to the parish for a funeral, wedding, and a baptism, not to mention the Divine Service. When I catch my breath, I will post a review of the trip on my blog and send it to you as well.
    Blessings-
    +Pr. Beecroft

8. Rev Dr James Hoke
    June 30th, 2008 at 04:57 | #8

Since I live in the “Fatherland” (Stuttgart) I actually have a krug of “Luther” bier from Wittenberg – it’s awful! Other than that Andecks is good and Etal raspberry liquor is delightful. Augsburg has a Drei König bier that comes in 3 different colors, it’s good if you don’t look at it – drinking green bier is just not on.

9. June 30th, 2008 at 12:58 | #9

If you ever go to St. Louis, check out the second largest brewery in the city. Schlafly makes a wonderful assortment of hand-crafted beers, but the best in my opinion is the APA. Any hop-head would love the bold floral aroma with the right balance of malt.

10. Rev. Ken Burton
    July 1st, 2008 at 15:30 | #10

OK guys
    My favorite brew is still Hoegarten White ale (unfiltered belgian wheat), but a bit hard to get. However I had a wonderful domestic belgian-style quad ale recently. It’s from the Avery Brewing company in Colorado. And unlikely though it is, it’s called “The Reverend”. Wonderful malty taste – its almost a meal in itself! I highly reccommend it if you can find it.

Ken

11. Hanna Mercier
    July 3rd, 2008 at 07:50 | #11

Blue Moon is a really good Belgian Wheat. Schlafly is icredible, but my hat is off to the guy who lives in Germany. We were in the military, stationed in Stuttgart and when I came time for us to ship back I had a choice of packing clothes or German beer. I shipped the clothes via the postal service and flew the 2 cases of beer back home. Best packing decision I ever made. (Upon my return back to the states I could out drink any fellow soldier)!

Hanna

12. Tlotliso
    July 20th, 2008 at 22:39 | #12

Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier from Bamberg, Germany. It’s nectar.

13. Brandon Ross
    July 27th, 2008 at 17:41 | #13

1554 is a brew made by New Belgium in the style that Luther would have been very familiar with: Dark,smoky, with enough body to ensure one’s sustenance through periods of fasting…Prost!

14. Tabitha Cook
    July 29th, 2008 at 15:18 | #14

By far, the best beer I have ever had is Goldstar. Unfortunately this is only brewed in the Galilee region. But if the location weren’t enough its own recommendation–the brew would be worth the visit.

I have always been a Guinness girl (as I am 250% Irish and half Germanish) I have been mocked many a time for this particular taste but all I have to say to that is: go to Europe, try it fresh from the barrel, your taste buds will go nuts, it’s amazing. In order to get a beer better than that you will have to visit Galilee.

15. SteadfastLutherans
    July 29th, 2008 at 18:27 | #15

Tabitha,

I am a lightweight when it comes to beer but I am coming around. My typical taste is for a pilsner but lately I have been having a monthly social get together at an Irish pub with my favorite Catholic to discuss politics, travel etc. and I am becoming a Guinness convert!

I have been to mainland Europe but not to Ireland. Hope to get there in the next couple of years and take you up on your from-the-barrel temptation.

Pastor Rossow

16. Pastor Doug Wanderer
    August 5th, 2008 at 21:37 | #16

Preferred Potent Potables:
    Bell’s Expedition Stout (a particularly luxuraint and potent brew – 10.50% ABV), Breckenridge Vanilla Porter, Boulevard Bully! Porter, Moose Drool Brown Ale, Rogue Chocolate Stout, Schell’s Schmaltz’s Alt, Shiner Bock, SkullSplitter Orkeny Ale,
    Sleeman Original Draught, Summit Great Northern Porter, Young’s Double Chocolate Stout. All of the stouts are accompanied nicely with a square of Lindt Excellence 85% Cocoa extra dark chocolate.

17. Rev. eckert
    August 6th, 2008 at 12:09 | #17

Okay, this is not exactly my absolute favorite in the whole world, but it was a recent favorite.

Not so much the taste (it was decent) as the novelty of the name. I was passing through Utah with my family and stopped in Ogden. Evidently, someone there has a sense of humor.

The name is “Polygamy Porter.” Under the title, it said, “Why have just one?”

18. Pr. M. Mathey
    August 13th, 2008 at 19:24 | #18

Ah Ms Tabitha, sure’n you’re a lass after me own heart! I’m from a mother who was Irish Lutheran and a father who was German Catholic so although my ancestry is bass ackward theologically, I agree with you wholeheartedly when it comes to real beer. Guinness is nothing shorter than the nectar of the “celtic gods.” For all of those who drink american swill, if you can see through it, then it ain’t beer! That being said, remember, God allowed man to invent whiskey and beer so that us Irish wouldn’t rule the world! :)

19. August 22nd, 2008 at 21:33 | #19

I converted to Guinness about six years ago.

20. August 27th, 2008 at 17:32 | #20

Great place to stop when in Duluth, Minnesota

Brewhouse at Fitger’s

They have great locally brewed ales, lagers, stouts, and others. Great food in the restaurant too! Try the smoked fish wrap.

If you are in St. Paul, Minnesota
    check out the Summit Brewing Company

And if in New Ulm, Minnesota
    check out the August Schell Brewery

21. August 27th, 2008 at 17:39 | #21

Favorite hoppy ales:
    1. 90 Shilling Ale (Odell Brewing Company)
    2. Summit Extra Pale Ale (St. Paul, MN)
    3. McEwan’s Scotch Ale (Scotland)
    4. Avalanche Ale – Breckenridge Brewery (Colorado)

Favorite Lagers:
    1. Sam Adams Black Lager
    2. Leinie’s Red – Leienkugel’s – Chippewa Falls, WI
    3. Molson Canadian
    4. Grain Belt (Schell’s, New Ulm, MN)

Other Favorites:
    1. Odell Double Pilsener
    2. Shiner Bock
    3. Schmaltz’s Alt – Schell Brewing (New Ulm, MN)
    4. Breckenridge Oatmeal Stout

22. August 27th, 2008 at 17:42 | #22

I follow the dictim, “The hotter the weather, the cheaper the beer. The colder the weather and the better and more substantive beer.” Call it “garage logic.”

23. Ross
    September 12th, 2008 at 21:08 | #23

Rev. Bauer,

I like your “garage logic,” but I once drank some cheap beer not even the hottest day could make palatable. That beer was Harley Davidson Heavy Beer. That beer was so heavy I am sure there must still be some left in the tips of my toes.

Some of my favorite domestic beers are made by Leinenkugel and Sam Adams, but I am not a beer snob. I also enjoy Old Style, Miller Lite, and even Milwaukee’s Best. I also like German, Belgium, and Irish Ales and beers. I guess you could say that I’m not too picky when it comes to beer. I just like it nice and cold.

24. September 12th, 2008 at 23:47 | #24

Without a doubt, Lion Stout.

Powerful enough to wash away the oiliness of arrack, and surely doxycycline’s equal at preventing malaria, an 8.5% ABV, thick and chewy, creamy and sweet presentation of roasted grains that fortify the study of the Confessions out on the front porch in Minuwangoda… It was around 80 degrees and rainy here in Arkansas this evening, so my next-to-last bottle was consumed during a ‘body memory’ of Sri Lankan Autumn…

A special offer to the pious non-pietists of SteadfastLutherans.org: if you donate $300 to the education of the pastors and theological students of The Lutheran Church in Lanka via our parish website ( http://HolyTrinityLC.com, click on the “Sri Lanka” menu item) and come visit me or have me come and speak about pastoral education in Sri Lanka, I’ll reserve a six pack of Lion Stout for you! (It’s still difficult to get in most of the U.S.)

Personally, I’ll take it over Guiness any day…both for the memories and for the taste!

(And, if you’re brave…a $1,000 donation will also get you a bottle of the aforementioned arrack. ;-) )

EJG

25. Darrell Wacker
    September 13th, 2008 at 14:27 | #25

Throw in some limburger cheese and a few hands of poker, and I’ll join you in that Pabst Blue Ribbon!

26. September 19th, 2008 at 00:59 | #26

CPH offers coffee in their catalog. Maybe they should offer imported beer too.

27. Sem. Chris Ridenour
    October 2nd, 2008 at 14:13 | #27

I’d go for:
    Spring: Irish Red (Killians, Sam Adams Red
    Summer: Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy, Blue Moon, Shock Top
    Fall: Newcastle, Smithwicks, Chocolate Covered Cherry (Sam Adams Cherry Wheat with Guinness floated on top)
    Winter: Guinness Extra Stout, Guinness, Black&Tan, Boddington’s, Irish Carbombs

28. October 5th, 2008 at 14:11 | #28

My favorite beer is “Birthday Beer.” I never tasted it and it’s not a brand, but our church “underground” has a group of guys, including a number of our leaders, who get together using my husband’s birthday as an excuse and have a “guys only” beer tasting party. Each of the guys brings a few beers of interest and everyone gets to try some or each (and it all goes well with and birthday cake). My husband’s favorite is still usually Sam Adams (you might try the seasonal varieties). I can’t stand beer but can recommend Duplin Hatteras Red as a tasty sweet wine.

29. Z Heide
    October 28th, 2008 at 14:44 | #29

Personally, I am a Guinness Extra Stout fan, and I have tasted Guinness on tap in England. Coupled with the fish and chips I was eating, it was quite possibly one of the best things I have ever eaten.

For other beers, I enjoy a wide variety, especially anything bearing the stamp of Samuel Adams. I am also willing to try any beer at least once.

I am also beginning to brew my own beers at home, and the first batch (a brown ale brewed from extract) has turned out good.

30. October 31st, 2008 at 14:50 | #30

I enjoy brewing beer. I make about 2 1/2 gal at a time and have many types to try but my preference to date is dark beer. A oatmeal stout is very good as well as a dark porter.
    Enjoying homemade beer with friends and having a Lutheran confessional discussion, by a fire, is relaxing.

31. November 19th, 2008 at 14:45 | #31

When I sense I am in the presence of a pietist I always somehow manage to get the following quote into the conversation in the most not so subtle of ways: “I simply preached, wrote about and talked about God’s Word- otherwise I did nothing. And while I slept or drank Wittenberg beer with my friends Phillip and Amsdorf the Word so weakened the papacy that no emperor ever inflicted such losses upon it. I did nothing the Word did everything.” That is the antidote to pietism. Thank God for Luther!!!! We can enjoy a moderate drunk without guilt. A pietist is not comfortable around confessional Lutherans for very long. Is not that the way it should be?

My favorite beer is Blue Moon- without the Orange of course. Love the idea of this blog- getting pietism out of the church is a very liberating experience- much more liberating than their so-called “religious experience.”

32. David Rosenkoetter
    January 2nd, 2009 at 05:47 | #32

While Worsteiner’s tops my list of favorite beers, the rest of the top five include: 2. Guinness, 3. Killian’s Red, 4. Sam Adams, and 5. Molson Tripple X, only sold in Canada. It’s quite the evening when you can finish a good discussion of good theology with a couple bottles of the aforementioned.

My favorite answer to a Pietist pharmicist who asks: “Which medicine do you need?” I s ask: “What imports do you have on tap?”

33. David Ball
    April 2nd, 2009 at 11:19 | #33

It is to my great benefit that I live in a land where beer is almost as plentiful as the snow melt and where the heavens touch the mountains. Here in Colorado we have many fine breweries but I prefer the New Belgian Beers (Fort Collins CO) even above our more local Left Hand Brewery beers (Longmont CO). Of the former I recommend Fat Tire and Loft; of the latter I recommend Haystack Wheat. A wedge of lemon in your pint is recommended whatever your local temperature and altitude. Honorable mentions are; Blue Moon, Shock Top,Easy Street Wheat.

34. Joe
    April 9th, 2009 at 15:36 | #34

Everyone should try a Schlitz. Pabst, who owns the brand, reintroduced the formula that was used in the 1960s. It is fantastic beer. Please note that the good stuff is only in the bottles. They still sell the post-60′s formula in the cans.

35. Jason Kelly
    April 26th, 2009 at 01:30 | #35

Has anybody else tried Shiner’s 100th Anniversay Edition? I don’t know how it could be any better. I highly recommend it. It is truly the best beer I have ever had.

36. L. LUTHER RAUSCH
    May 3rd, 2009 at 21:00 | #36

Try Homebrew! My Motto is “Homebrew will get you through times of no money better than money will get you through times of no homebrew!” Und, “Vir trink kline, ober auft, und den viel!” (Excuse the speling.)

37. Wyldeirishman
    June 10th, 2009 at 23:59 | #37

A Guinness IS tough to top (unless you’re doing up a black & tan), but if you get ahold of a Kell’s Irish Lager (Rogue Ales), you can actually float the Guinness on the TOP of the gold…insanity (and delicious)!

Other loves include MacTarnahan’s Summer Grifter IPA, MacTarnahan’s Black Watch Porter, Ninkasi Total Domination IPA, Goose Island Oatmeal Stout, Buffalo Bill’s Pumpkin Ale, Rogue Shakespeare Stout, Deschutes JubelAle, McMenamin’s Sleepy Hollow Nutbrown Ale (a local treat here in Orygun), Bayern Brewing Dopplebock, and Stone’s Old Guardian Barleywine-style Ale (careful with this stuff…at 11.25%, it can peel the paint from your walls!)

Slainte,

Sean

38. Caleb
    July 10th, 2009 at 14:27 | #38

North Coast is my favorite brewing company, and my two favorite beers from there are Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout, and Brother Thelonious Belgian Style Abbey Ale.

Other than that, I like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale, Boulevard Double Wide IPA, Goose Island IPA, Berliner Pils (I love Berlin), Budweiser Budvar (has nothing to do with St. Louis), Franziskaner Hefe-Weizen, Shlafly Summer Koelsch, and others. Many others.

39. Lutheran Teacher
    September 3rd, 2009 at 16:08 | #39

Moose Drool Grand Tetons

40. David Zeile
    September 25th, 2009 at 08:45 | #40

From 1982 to 1985 I was stationed at Bitburg Air Base, Germany while in The Air Force. While the base has since been closed and the rancor over President Reagan’s visit to the graves of Nazi Soldiers has faded, there still remains the iconic Bitburger Pils brewery.
    Upon my arrival, my tastes in beer centered around the major American beers like Pabst, Coors, Miller and Schlitz. The latter of which was the brand I always bought when it was my turn to buy a new keg, during my days of dorm life with 5 other roommates. When visiting a local Gasthaus for a meal of German cuisine, I went all out and ordered a Bitburger. Being very hoppy, I did not like it! It took me about a year and a half to acquire a taste for it. I guess I just needed to “mature” a bit. Since leaving Germany, I have gone out of my way to buy it here in the States and have not found a Pilsner that is quite as hoppy as Bitbuger. Bitte ein Bit!

41. Keith Luhrs
    October 18th, 2009 at 09:40 | #41

The great state of Michigan is home to more than 250 breweries that range from powerhouse Bell’s in Kalamazoo to small bars that make their own like Detroit City and Old Hat in Lawton. Ypsilanti is home each summer to the Michgian Brewer’s Guild Beerfest where most of the mircrobreweries in the state offer samples of their suds to discriminating palates. Ypsi is a Ford town just west of Detroit Metro Airport and east of Ann Arbor and was the home of Hudson Automobiles before the demise of that once famous nameplate. The Beer Fest is held in Frog Island Park, a wonderful spot along the Huron River in Ypsi’s Depot Town. Admission to the Fest buys you 12, 3 or 4 oz sample’s of Michigan’s finest.

Being a producer of lots of fruit of the berry kind, Michigan has some excellent raspberry wheat beers and ales that go down smooth on a hot day and leave a clean taste on the palatte. Arcadia Brewing out of Battle Creek has a hopped up IPA that is crisp and doesn’t leave a long, bitter, aftertaste that lesser IPA’s can sometimes do. I’m not an IPA guy but my little brother, who lives in Ypsi, works for Ford and is a homebrewer and lover of IPA’s, loves Arcadia’s brew.

The Ann Arbor Deutsches-Amerikanischer Klub has a series of fundraisers in June and early July at their park off of Ann Arbor-Plymouth Road. Members dress in drindels and lederhosen and serve up homemade red cabbage, spaetzel, knockwurst und kartoffels with plenty of Spaten and Dortmunder bier. An oomp-pah-pah band plays and the crests of the capitals of the Deutsche Staaten are displayed. A very enjoyable and family oriented event.

42. Dutch
    November 2nd, 2009 at 16:34 | #42

WOW. I didn’t even know this was here!
    Okay, favorite beers…depends where I am.

US: Sprecher Creamy Dark or Guinness tap only, Lion Stout
    UK or Erie: Guinness (It’s good for you) or Newcastle tap only
    Germany: Anything Dunkel (dark) or Osser bier (Pils). (Hubby’s family owns the brewery)
    South of the US border: Negro Modelo. If your in Mexico, skip Corona if ya like dark beer.
    Dos cervezas, negro modelo, por favor! It is usually on tap at the resorts & pubs.

Seasonals:
    Spring/Summer
    Pallini Lemoncello w/splash of 7-UP. Great on hot days of DIY projects.
    Fall/Winter
    Drambuie-w maiden name Gray, family staple for Thanksgiving & Christmas Eve, after church & dining. Nothin’ finer than a wee dram, fer cald nights

Cheers, folks. I love BJS.

43. Jason
    November 22nd, 2009 at 11:34 | #43

Idsteiner Brauhas “Alte Feuerwache” in Idstein Germany (http://www.brauhaus-alte-feuerwache.de/) brews the best beer in the world in my opinion.
    For mass produced Pilsner I like Wernesgrüner (http://www.wernesgruener.de/).
    My prefered wheat beers are Franziskaner, Maisel’s, and Schneider.
    Martin Luther liked Einbecker but I have not tried it yet. (http://www.einbecker.com/)

44. Jason
    November 23rd, 2009 at 12:09 | #44

Zischke Kellerbier Original is awesome. I don’t know if it is available outside of Germany but I recomend it highly!

45. Jason
    November 23rd, 2009 at 12:15 | #45

@David Zeile #40
    Ah, Bitburger, the German standard!

46. December 1st, 2009 at 00:06 | #46

For the record, Reagan visited a cememtary of 2000, out of which 49 graves are SS. The average age of those lads was 18, meaning they were 6 when Hitler came to power. True, there was controversy about the Bitburg visit, from the predictible Left to many WWII vets, but it was a glorious day for the cause of fraternity between us and our allies. Here’s what happened:

Reagan spent only eight minutes at the Kolmeshöhe Cemetery. Along with Kohl, 90-year-old General Matthew Ridgway, who had commanded the 82nd Airborne in World War II, and Luftwaffe ace and former head of NATO General Johannes Steinhoff, Reagan placed a wreath at a wall of remembrance. After placing the wreath, and standing to attention in honour while a short trumpet salute was played, at its end Steinhoff in an unscripted act turned and shook hands firmly with a pleased Ridgway in a true act of reconciliation. Reagan smiled, and firmly shook the General’s hand, while a shocked Kohl later thanked Steinhoff for his actions. Steinhoff later said that it just seemed the right thing to do.

Security was heavy for the three-mile route from the NATO airbase at Kolmeshohe, lined with 2,000 policemen – one posted every twelve feet: few protesters showed up. Reagan made one last appearance with Kohl at the airbase, before 7,500 spectators waving American and West German flags. Kohl thanked the president for staying the course: “This walk… over the graves of soldiers was not an easy walk. I thank you personally as a friend that you undertook this walk with me.” Reagan responded candidly: “This visit has stirred many emotions in the American and German people too. Some old wounds have been reopened, and this I regret very much, because this should be a time of healing.
    @David Zeile #40

47. Quia
    January 8th, 2010 at 14:01 | #47

New Glarus Brewing’s Spotted Cow

48. paul clark
    February 19th, 2010 at 16:15 | #48

Ah, what a wonderful gift of God is a good beer or ale! I think I would have to choose North Coast’s Red Seal Ale, Bell’s Two-Hearted Ale, and Goose Island IPA as three of my favorites, though Stone IPA, Sierra Nevada, and Great Lakes Buring River are runners up. Also like a Guiness or godo stout from time to time…

49. drew
    March 8th, 2010 at 19:37 | #49

I know – not original – but there are few things in life finer than a properly poured pint of Guinness

50. April 11th, 2010 at 17:38 | #50

Sam Adams Cherry Wheat…love those Michigan cherries!

Comment pages