Today is the anniversary of the Presentation of the Augsburg Confession to the Holy Roman Emporer Charles V in 1530. It was fitting for us to introduce the Brothers of John the Steadfast to Lutheranism on this date one year ago since our namesake was one of the signers of the Augsburg Confession and was a faithful layman who supported confessional Lutheran theology, risking his life and reputation for the pure Gospel and rightly administered sacraments.
The Brothers of John the Steadfast is laymen’s group (pastors and women are welcome to join and participate) formed to:
- Learn and promote the Lutheran Confessions
- Fund New Lutheran Media (Issues Etc.)
- Uphold the historic liturgy
- Support the work of the pastor
- Equip spiritual heads of households
We have enjoyed a year of God’s blessing through His Son, our Lord Jesus Christ. Included in our milestones in this 478th year since John the Steadfast stood resolutely on the truth and presented the Augsburg Confession are:
- Enlisting 250 members from around the world
- Starting 10 local chapters from New York to California and even Canada.
- Cataloging and in some cases help start nearly 25 confessions reading groups around the country
- Publishing a first class, full color quarterly of popular Lutheran theology and practice for our members
- Rolling out this website to help us accompish our goals and be a place where all confessional Christians (particularly LCMS Lutherans) can go to be edified and learn about the waxing and waning of Confessional Lutheranism in today’s world.
Our plans for our second year include:
- Electing a full board of directors (we have currently been operating with a small board and about 15 members on a steering committee)
- Our first annual fund drive to support new Lutheran media (Issues Etc.)
- Lay the financial groundwork for staffing to grow the organization
- Promotion of good liturgical piety via a groundbreaking video series
- Continued support of and growth in membership, chapters, confessions reading groups, this website and the Steadfast Quarterly
If you are interested in joining our growing group click here. Members pay $25 in annual dues and recieve the Steadfast Quarterly and a new member packet with a few steadfast goodies. If you are interested in starting a chapter contact us at [email protected] and we will send you a chapter start-up kit. (We just sent out five of them this week!)
We certainly have a lot of fine-tuning to do and some great goals for the coming year. We thank you for your support in this first year and look forward to God’s support in the new year so that we might remain steadfast in the faith and encourage others toward that same end.
We appreciate you giving us your feedback on our first year in the comment section below. Let us know what we have done well and what needs improvement.